Self harm is a way of dealing with difficult feelings, painful memories or overwhelming situations and experiences by hurting yourself. It has been described as a way to:
- Express something difficult to put into words
- Turn invisible thoughts and feelings into something visible
- Reduce overwhelming thoughts or feelings
- Escape traumatic memories
- Have a sense of being in control
- Have something in life you can rely on
- Stop feeling numb, disconnected or disassociated
- Create a reason to physically care for yourself
- Express suicidal feelings and thoughts without taking your own life
We at the practice can help by focusing on your feelings, uncovering with you different inner and outer resources and other choices, as well as exploring and identifying what may lie underneath.
It is within the herd that I have finally found my voice.....long forgotten but not lost.
Thank you, Cleo and Sultana for allowing me to be part of the herd.
Thanks to my therapist I am now more assertive and clearer of my needs and therefore more able to live a life that I want rather than what people want.
Although at the beginning I was very scared of horses, today I realised that the biggest fear was that I could be as powerful as the horses.